beantwoord

Luggage on IC Direct

• 8 February 2024
  • 9 reacties
  • 202 Bekeken

• Op het juiste spoor
  • 2 reacties

We are traveling as a family of six on an IC direct between Amsterdam and Brussels.  The plan is to ride an early morning (6:30am) train on a Tuesday or Wednesday.  However, we have a lot of luggage.  One smaller (carry-on) per person (six total) and three larger pieces of luggage.  As far as I can tell, all are within the size requirements, but they are a lot.  My plan was to place the carry-on luggage in the overhead rack and the larger items in the stowage area.  If the carry-on items are too large for the overhead rack, we might need to fit them in the stowage area also.  My question is whether this sounds reasonable for our trip.

icon

Beste antwoord door Momo 8 February 2024, 21:03

Bekijk origineel

9 reacties

Good afternoon cdco. Welcome to the NS Community.

Official rules state:

Good afternoon cdco. Welcome to the NS Community.

Official rules state:

Thank you!  I guess what I’m asking is how large are the “racks above the seats” and the “storage spaces provided”?  Are the overhead racks big enough to accommodate carry-on-sized luggage, and are the storage spaces big enough to store larger suitcases?  I’m confident that I can make it work, but I’d like a little more confidence :)

Badge +3

Thank you!  I guess what I’m asking is how large are the “racks above the seats” and the “storage spaces provided”?  Are the overhead racks big enough to accommodate carry-on-sized luggage, and are the storage spaces big enough to store larger suitcases?  I’m confident that I can make it work, but I’d like a little more confidence :)

The overhead luggage space depends on the type of train, but will usually fit a duffel bag.

Stowage area is limited, but larger pieces could be placed between seats in a 4-seat space, or in the isle as long as persons can still pass.

There are no strict limits for the amount of luggage, except luggage may not exceed 85 cm in any dimension (length, height, width). More space (and some folding seats) is usually available on the balcony at the doors.

Sprinter trains usually have some more space than intercity trains.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

In the IC-Direct there is extra stowage space for larger suitcases.

https://www.martijnhaman.nl/typeicr.htm

Badge +3

In the IC-Direct there is extra stowage space for larger suitcases.

https://www.martijnhaman.nl/typeicr.htm

Sweet, and when arriving at Schiphol Airport, the IC direct has no surcharge when going to Amsterdam Centraal.

Also see the converted railcatering lift/elevator space in https://hettreinenhoekje.nl/materieeltypes/VIRMm

Luggage space

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Hey, where did my picture go in my earlier post? Another glitch on this community?

New try.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Sweet, and when arriving at Schiphol Airport, the IC direct has no surcharge when going to Amsterdam Centraal.

When travelling to Rotterdam, a surcharge is required for IC direct trains.

TS is travelling between Amsterdam and Brussels, so no surcharge anyway with an international ticket.

Hey, where did my picture go in my earlier post? Another glitch on this community?

Thanks! Those pictures are very helpful!

Badge +3

TS is travelling between Amsterdam and Brussels, so no surcharge anyway with an international ticket.

My mistake, I had an arrival at Schiphol Airport in mind.

Reageer