beantwoord

NS - App : Missed check-out although done correctly

• 20 August 2023
  • 6 reacties
  • 416 Bekeken

Reputatie 1

Fellow traintravellers,

yesterday I traveled from Den Haag Centraal (check in location NS) to Zwolle. Unfortunately, I forgot to exit the train and traveled further to Assen, where I took the next NS train back to Zwolle. 

At Zwolle, I checked out properly from NS as usual and transfered to Blauwnet.

Surprisingly, NS-App now says I forgot to check out and that I am still checked in with NS. In contraction to that, ov-chipkaart.nl shows that I've done it correctly (see attached images).

Is this a bug? How can that be? Did the IT somehow got confused by me traveling forth and back between Zwolle and Assen? Or is there sth. I have done wrong?

Customer-service assumed I check - out incorrectly with Blauwnet at Zwolle, which I think is technically impossible when being checked - in elsewhere, and adviced me to wait till Wednesday.

Regardless of that I wanted to ask the community as well on this issue. Can't afford no fine or anything ✌️

icon

Beste antwoord door Tochjo 20 August 2023, 13:56

Bekijk origineel

6 reacties

Badge +3

The information in the NS app (and Mijn NS) is not updated in real time. I experience what you're seeing now too every now and then. No need to worry, it's clear from the information at ov-chipkaart.nl that you’ve done nothing wrong. The information in the app should update in a few days. You won't be charged extra.

Reputatie 1

@Tochjo Thx dude, that answer definitely calms me down.

Although, as a non-IT person, I do wonder how this error in detail came to be or what speaks against real-time processing of travel information with regard to the presumably little amount of information that needs to be processed. 

And regarding real-time processing once more, I have the "check-in/out" notification on, isn't that real-time? Doesn't that indicate that NS knows right away when I have checked in & out?

Badge +3

Rest assured.

Transactions at NS gates/poles should be processed almost real-time but with NS Flex it’s a well known issue that delays can occur (up to a few weeks even!). Eventually, the ‘problem’ will resolve itself.

TLS/OV-chipkaart has the most up-to-date info (as shown in your screenshot) but sends transactions to NS overnight, at least for the Blauwnet transactions.

I assume your Mijn NS info now shows the check-out at Hengelo. If not, it should at least show Zwolle. In that case, wait another day or two and the 20:48 Blauwnet check-out should show.

Regarding the notifications, don’t expect too much 😥 I know cases where somebody who checked in at Utrecht Centraal (with NS of course) got three notifications about a forgotten check-out before they (he/she) even reached the platform and boarded a train!

Those notifications seem to be related to (GPS) location information, and inside a building like Utrecht Centraal (or a tunnel like Schiphol Airport) your phone will either show erroneous info or have no idea where you actually are.

Reputatie 1

@Robert B 

My NS - App still shows exactly the same regarding check-in/out status. Guess sth. went wrong on their end, I'll just wait like proposed!

Regarding notifications, I have not activated the "missed check-out" option in the first place, because I was already expecting the issues you are describing.

My point was just to say that the app is in real-time to a certain degree in contradiction to what @Tochjo said.

Badge +3

My point was just to say that the app is in real-time to a certain degree in contradiction to what @Tochjo said.

To a certain degree, sure, but I’ve had a situation where I looked at the app a few minutes after walking onto the platform to see if I hadn’t forgotten to check in, and the check-in wasn’t there yet, although it turned out I had actually checked in. It seems unreliable at best.

Reputatie 1

@Tochjo @Robert B

Data was processed properly after all.

Reageer