beantwoord

Clarification on missed check-in correction penalty

• 14 May 2023
  • 8 reacties
  • 258 Bekeken

Hi there,

On the NS website - https://www.ns.nl/en/customer-service/forgotten/check-in-or-out-forgotten.html it states that:

---------------------------------------

Forgotten to check in

Many of our stations have gates that only open after you check in with your OV-chipkaart or debit card. If you're travelling from a station with poles, we understand that you might forget to check in every now and again. If you forget, try to check in at the same station anyway or find the conductor in the train to avoid a fine. After all, you always need a valid ticket when travelling on public transport.

----------------------------------------

I made a trip where the conductor kindly held the train for us but we had to run to the front of the train where she was at the only open door. Inside the train, I immediately informed her that I had forgotten/missed the check-in (post station, no gates). I was told not a problem and she checked me in on the mobile wand.

I received an email the next day informing me that I had not checked in and an EUR 50 fine had been applied.

This has since been refunded by great customer service, however they said that as soon as the conductor checks you in, it is an instant correction penalty.

If this is true, then the website is giving incorrect advice, and to me it penalizes genuine mistakes.and honesty. So you would be better off NOT informing the conductor and trying to check-in at the next stop.

icon

Beste antwoord door Tomas NS 14 May 2023, 14:43

Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Hi there DutchDave and welcome to our Community. I'm sorry to read that you've been charged this fee, but glad to read you've managed to fix this with our customer service.

I understand your concern about our website, but to be honest, I do not think the misunderstanding was caused by our website, but rather by the conductor. To elaborate on this: a conductor can not check in any cards. What they can do is check if the card has been checked in, and with NS Flex cards they can also register abnormalities (like not being checked in or traveling in a different travel class than is mentioned on the card). When a conductor does this, a € 50,- charge is applied if the card was not checked in.

The recommendation to approach the conductor if you have forgotten to check in is a logical one: in most cases a conductor will be far more lenient if you approach them proactively instead of them checking your ticket without talking to them beforehand. In your situation, I am confident that the conductor wasn't handling in bad faith. I will, however, pass on your signal to the relevant team so they are aware of situations like these. Thank you for letting us know!

Hi there,

I received an email the next day informing me that I had not checked in and an EUR 50 fine had been applied.

This has since been refunded by great customer service, however they said that as soon as the conductor checks you in, it is an instant correction penalty.

A conductor can't check you in, it's technically not possible. In case the conductor checks your card and it appears that you didn't check in a correction penalty is automatically imposed.

If this happens the first time you can ask customer service for a refund (no guarantee), if it happens a second time you will have to pay the fine.

Note that it's not allowed to board the train if you're not checked in. Else fraud would become very simple. 

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

Er staat 'Staan er paaltjes? We begrijpen dat je die wel eens over het hoofd ziet. (..) meld je [dan] bij onze conducteur in de trein. Zo voorkom je een boete.’ Als ik het goed begrijp is dat misleiding.

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

a conductor (..) can (..) check if the card has been checked in, and with NS Flex cards they can also register abnormalities (like not being checked in or traveling in a different travel class than is mentioned on the card). When a conductor does this, a € 50,- charge is applied if the card was not checked in.

(..)

In case the conductor checks your card and it appears that you didn't check in a correction penalty is automatically imposed.

Wie heeft er gelijk?

Badge +3

(continuing in Dutch)

Het systeem heeft 'gelijk’ want die pagina bestond al voordat er NS Flex er was en toen werkte het inderdaad anders. 

Bij reizen op saldo kan een conducteur het ‘door de vingers zien’ dus check maar onderweg ergens in (i.p.v. een UvB/boete uitschrijven).

Met NS Flex volgt steevast die correctie/boete, ook al denkt/zegt men dat ‘het verder wel goed is’.

Reis je dus 1e klas zonder bijbehorend reisrecht, dan krijg je 20 euro aan je broek (en mag je gewoon blijven zitten!).

Zonder geldige incheck (dat kan ook zomaar bij de verkeerde vervoerder zijn) is het 50 euro.

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

(continuing in Dutch)

Het systeem heeft 'gelijk’ want die pagina bestond al voordat er NS Flex er was en toen werkte het inderdaad anders. 

Bij reizen op saldo kan een conducteur het ‘door de vingers zien’ dus check maar onderweg ergens in (i.p.v. een UvB/boete uitschrijven).

Met NS Flex volgt steevast die correctie/boete, ook al denkt/zegt men dat ‘het verder wel goed is’.

Reis je dus 1e klas zonder bijbehorend reisrecht, dan krijg je 20 euro aan je broek (en mag je gewoon blijven zitten!).

Zonder geldige incheck (dat kan ook zomaar bij de verkeerde vervoerder zijn) is het 50 euro.

Mijn vraag is welke van de twee tegenstrijdige teksten klopt, resp. aparte knop voor boete of niet.

Badge +3

Bij op saldo of e-ticket: een UvB als de HC dat nodig vindt (1e klas) of check onderweg maar in (ov-chipkaart), of “mijn trein uit en ga maar een kaartje kopen/ticket regelen” als je helemaal niets hebt

Bij NS Flex: de HC krijgt één knop om een afwijking (1e klas of geen/verkeerde vervoerder incheck of verkeerde reisrichting) te registeren. Geen idee of de reden van die afwijking erbij staat, maar ik mag hopen van wel

Die knop zou hij/zij met rust kunnen laten? Maar dat doen ze meestal dus niet, en zeggen “het is goed zo, goede reis verder” en jij zit vervolgens met die (terechte) correctie.

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

Bij op saldo of e-ticket: een UvB als de HC dat nodig vindt (1e klas) of check onderweg maar in (ov-chipkaart), of “mijn trein uit en ga maar een kaartje kopen/ticket regelen” als je helemaal niets hebt

Bij NS Flex: de HC krijgt één knop om een afwijking (1e klas of geen/verkeerde vervoerder incheck of verkeerde reisrichting) te registeren. Geen idee of de reden van die afwijking erbij staat, maar ik mag hopen van wel

Die knop zou hij/zij met rust kunnen laten? Maar dat doen ze meestal dus niet, en zeggen “het is goed zo, goede reis verder” en jij zit vervolgens met die (terechte) correctie.

Als je NS Flex hebt is het dan misschien handig om nog een andere OV-chipkaart bij je te hebben, met voldoende saldo, zodat je als je je realiseert dat je met NS Flex vergeten bent in te checken, die andere OV-chipkaart kan presenteren. Het lijkt erop dat je dan minder kans hebt op een boete. Met als uitzondering dat als je NS Flex Dal Vrij hebt en het is weekend, of als je NS Flex Altijd Vrij hebt, je gewoon die kan presenteren, je hoort dan geen boete te krijgen.

Reageer