Skip to main content

I bought a season ticket (Dal vordeel), and ordered a chipkaart. Then I ordered a train ticket online, and paid full fare. How am I supposed to use the discount ?

In France, the booking apps have discount options for every card, so you pay the right price, and show your cards in the train if needed. In Germany you can have a 49€/month subscription and hope on and off any regional train and tram and bus etc... as you want.

I'm confused with NS. Or, is it maybe, that I'm supposed to not even buy a ticket, but just check in and out at every station using the chipkaart. And that I get charged afterwards ? But then, how do they calculate the right price ? I didn't see the check-in portal in Venlo for instance.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this to me  :)

(I don't yet have the card, it's on the way. Maybe the letter contains all the instructions..)

You pay for your journeys by checking in and out at the station. You'll receive a monthly invoice for your journeys, which you pay by direct debit from the account you indicated.

Every station in the Netherlands has either gates or poles to check in and out and this includes Venlo.

This is for domestic journeys; international journeys work differently (no check in/out), with a few exceptions.

Or, is it maybe, that I'm supposed to not even buy a ticket, but just check in and out at every station using the chipkaart. And that I get charged afterwards ? But then, how do they calculate the right price ?

Yes, that's how it works. The actual fare for each trip is calculated afterwards by a central computer system that also knows which season ticket you have. Once a month you get charged for all your trips.

I didn't see the check-in portal in Venlo for instance.

You check in and out either at a gate or at a pole. Venlo has no gates, only poles.

Great, thanks for your confirmation !

That's indeed a great system, makes it very easy to use :D

(It's just a bit confusing at first 😅)

Reageer