beantwoord

CYCLING LF MAASROUTE IN 2024 - SOME QUESTIONS...

• 29 October 2023
  • 4 reacties
  • 141 Bekeken

Hello. I’m planning to cycle the LF Maasroute in 2024. I have some questions:

1. I am thinking about May / early June. Is this a good time of the year to cycle the route? (Temperatures? Rains? Winds?)
  2. The LF Maasroute website describes the route in 8 stages. I am thinking maybe taking only 5-6 days to do it. Am I going to miss much by shortening my time on the route?
  3. Can anyone recommend suitable places (towns) to stop for the overnight stays? I’ll start in Maastricht. I would be happy to cycle 60 miles (or so) each day. I would be using guesthouses / hotels / B&B / Warmshowers, not camping.
  4. There are a lot of ferry crossings on the route. I guess this will add some extra time to each day’s cycling? Do most ferries run frequently during the day? That is, is there likely to be a long waiting time if I just miss a ferry crossing? If someone can point me in the direction of ferry timetables, I can check for myself.

Many thanks. Bill Evans / Shropshire, UK.

icon

Beste antwoord door Thom 29 October 2023, 11:13

Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +4
  1. The weather in the Netherlands is totally unpredictable. In May or early June the cycling conditions are in general nice.
  2. No.
  3. Vrienden op de Fiets offers you an overnight stay for €25. The only condition is that  you arrive by bike, by foot or by canoe, it has to be muscle driven.
  4. Of course it will add time, but it is hard to tell how much. In general it does not take a lot extra.

https://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/en/ It is in English.

https://veerponten.nl in Dutch, but understandable.

Reputatie 3

I cycled the most of route.

@2 I would suggest the section between Alem and Dordrecht, since it’s the most “Dutch” with levies and nice views. The first part ( Maastricht to Venlo ) is more “international”. The last part (Dordrecht to the sea and back to Rotterdam) is more urban/industrial

1. There are a lot of ferry crossings on the route. I guess this will add some extra time to each day’s cycling? Do most ferries run frequently during the day? That is, is there likely to be a long waiting time if I just miss a ferry crossing? If someone can point me in the direction of ferry timetables, I can check for myself.

Most ferries you're referring to are organised as a continuous shuttle without a timetable. Waiting time will be at most 15 minutes (if you arrive exactly at the wrong moment).

Only around Dordrecht and Rotterdam waiting times can be longer as the river there becomes very wide.

Operating times in the evening can be limited, some ferries will stop at 8pm. Others will continue till around midnight.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments. I appreciate it. I am thinking my trip will look something like this:

1. Overnight in Maastricht.
  2. Day 1: Cycle Maastricht to Roermond (or nearby) for overnight stay.
  3. Day 2: Cycle Roermond to Boxmeer (or nearby) for overnight stay.
  4. Day 3: Cycle Boxmeer to Kerkdriel (or nearby) for overnight stay.
  5. Day 4: Cycle Kerkdriel to Dordrecht (or nearby) for overnight stay.
  6. Day 5: Cycle Dordrecht to Brielle (or nearby) for overnight stay.
  7. Day 6: Maasvlakte ferry across to Hoek van Holland, and explore the local area. (Ferry back to Harwich UK at 10pm.)

I would value your advice for places to visit on Day 6. My ferry back to Harwich UK is at 10pm, so I will have lots of time to explore, have a meal, etc. Any suggestions for a ‘Top 3’ places to visit on that final day in the Netherlands?

Many thanks. Bill 

Reageer