beantwoord

Why are customers always blamed for missed checkouts, when that is rarely the source of the problem?

• 15 October 2023
  • 13 reacties
  • 333 Bekeken

Rarely it is possible for the traveler to be at fault for a missed checkout--at Schiphol perhaps, or one of the few locations without turnstyles.

In my experience, it is overwhelmingly the NS who is at fault for the error. And that would be okay! It 's okay to make mistakes, everyone does it.

What is not okay is to blame someone else when you make a mistake. Especially when it 's a customer who you 're blaming.

Why are we limited to 3 missed checkouts a year, and why is it put forward as if it is the traveler who has made some silly mistake? The NS can certainly be responsible for far more technical errors in a single year.

icon

Beste antwoord door Tumtumtum 16 October 2023, 13:53

Bekijk origineel

13 reacties

Rarely it is possible for the traveler to be at fault for a missed checkout--at Schiphol perhaps, or one of the few locations without turnstyles.

70% of all stations have no turnstyles.

Reputatie 4

Actually, its often the customers "fault".

People check in with wrong companies because they dont look for the name of the company. They forget to put their card against a check in pole. People forget to check out at company A and run for the train of company B. They dont pay attention with the turnstyles and walk in too fast behind someone and dont pay attention to the screen that it actually says check in or hear the beep.

Or they think theyre checked in whilst they dont have enough money on their OV chipcard. And dont even start with OVpay. Some banks have difficulties like ING when they have another malfunction. If thats the case, complain to OVpay.

And then theres the group who always use it as an excuse whilst they know they've not checked in.

So no its not always the NS 's fault. If theres a real malfunction itll be known and you get your money back regardless if its your fourth or tenth time this year.

But, 3 times a year is coulance. They dont have to do it. If you havent checked in more then 3 times, im sorry but its probably you.

Badge +3

The 3 times per year was to prevent fraud via www.uitcheckgemist.nl (customers not checking out after a long journey and then asking money back as if they only made a very short journey).

NS Customer Service is more lenient, especially with check in/outs with the wrong company or when there are technical problems with poles or gates.

People check in with wrong companies because they dont look for the name of the company. They forget to put their card against a check in pole. People forget to check out at company A and run for the train of company B. They dont pay attention with the turnstyles and walk in too fast behind someone and dont pay attention to the screen that it actually says check in or hear the beep.

Or they think theyre checked in whilst they dont have enough money on their OV chipcard. And dont even start with OVpay. Some banks have difficulties like ING when they have another malfunction. If thats the case, complain to OVpay.

And then theres the group who always use it as an excuse whilst they know they've not checked in.

So no its not always the NS 's fault. If theres a real malfunction itll be known and you get your money back regardless if its your fourth or tenth time this year.

But, 3 times a year is coulance. They dont have to do it. If you havent checked in more then 3 times, im sorry but its probably you.

There are no stations on my daily route without turnstyles, they malfunction all the time, which NS are you riding with?

If you present your card at the turnstyle and the gate opens after being fully closed, but does not register the checkin/checkout--that’s not a user error, that’s an equipment malfunction, and it happens constantly.

And no, they do not make any exceptions to the three time rule, even when the ‘missed checkin’ and checkout were within the off peak travel times, for which I have a 100% free subscription.

That’s what gets me, there is no way for the journey to have cost me anything, regardless of where I checked in (though I know exactly where)--yet I’m charged 20e and given a exceptions speech?

I don’t use OVPay, but the only issues I’ve heard of were around people being aggressively double charged by the NS.

The 3 times per year was to prevent fraud via www.uitcheckgemist.nl (customers not checking out after a long journey and then asking money back as if they only made a very short journey).

NS Customer Service is more lenient, especially with check in/outs with the wrong company or when there are technical problems with poles or gates.

No they aren’t, they absolutely refuse to make an exception regardless of the situation, per their support.

No they aren’t, they absolutely refuse to make an exception regardless of the situation, per their support.

In my experience. It really depends on your luck with the train conductor. Some have a very bad day and will cause you a lot of trouble, both financially and pure trouble by kicking you out. And some train conductors are human and can understand when NS-equipment is malfunctioning or you made a human mistake like forgetting to check in at a NS-pole when you are on a unknown station (for instance for me it was at the other side of The Nederlands). Ofcourse there are also people trying to do fare evasion. But NS support themselves (like thev support-people online), they rarely want to help you or even refuse to respond. I'm still waiting already for 1,5 month for a question I asked on their Twitter/X platform. 

No exceptions is a good thing.

Reputatie 7
Badge +1

Also in case the gates are not working properly? I think you'll find it won't stand up in court in such a case.

Reputatie 7
Badge +1

If NS customer service refuse to do anything when the gates are malfunctioning, then contact the Public Transport Complaints Desk.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

@dslinz If your journeys aren't registered it could very well be that your OV-chipkaart is broken, rather than the equipment.

Also in case the gates are not working properly? I think you'll find it won't stand up in court in such a case.

So far I have never encountered any not properly working gate. 

Reputatie 4

There are no stations on my daily route without turnstyles, they malfunction all the time, which NS are you riding with?

If you present your card at the turnstyle and the gate opens after being fully closed, but does not register the checkin/checkout--that’s not a user error, that’s an equipment malfunction, and it happens constantly.

And no, they do not make any exceptions to the three time rule, even when the ‘missed checkin’ and checkout were within the off peak travel times, for which I have a 100% free subscription.

That’s what gets me, there is no way for the journey to have cost me anything, regardless of where I checked in (though I know exactly where)--yet I’m charged 20e and given a exceptions speech?

I don’t use OVPay, but the only issues I’ve heard of were around people being aggressively double charged by the NS.

I have to disagree. The only problems I had was by my own admission so far and never had a problem to get a refund. 

If its always the same turnstyles a record must be there. Perhaps its the OV chipcard like someone said. Do you always check the screen of the turnstyle what is says? Checked in. You also get the correction fee if you dont have a check out. 

They also use the same type of turnstyles for the metro. Do you have it there as well by any chance (if you take that)

Reputatie 5

So far I have never encountered any not properly working gate. 

It's kind of irrrelevant what you've encountered or haven't encountered. I've haven't encountered a single sick person during covid so then it just doesn't exist or it is not a problem?

Just after you wrote that I was at Rotterdam Zuid yesterday and gate 2.6 opens only half when entering the platform and some people just can't get through it then. But I guess that's not a problem as long as you don't encounter it.

Reageer