beantwoord

how is traveling by train

• 10 July 2023
  • 3 reacties
  • 121 Bekeken

Hi, here to ask a general question about the service. I’m a tourist and I’m going to Amsterdam and traveling around the country at the end of the month, I would like to know if buying tickets in advance is strictly necessary or if there are no problems (like higher prices or trains completely full) to buy them a few minutes before the departure time. It may seem a funny question, but I am used to trains in my city, which sometimes can be really funny too. Thank you for your time.

icon

Beste antwoord door Robert B 11 July 2023, 00:23

Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Badge +3

Welcome to the NS Community!

Without a monthly subscription for discount or free travel (for which you need a personal card with photo), it’s best to just use any debit/credit card to tap in and out. It needs to be enabled for contactless/RFID/NFC payments. A phone wallet (or even a smart watch) with your card coupled should work, too.

See https://ovpay.nl/en for details. Maestro, V pay, Mastercard, or Visa will work, AmEx doesn’t work.

If your card doesn't work, there’s always the ticket machines at stations that will provide tickets for single or return trips at a € 1,00 surcharge.

Badge +3

trains completely full

You cannot reserve a seat in domestic trains within the Netherlands. So trains can be very crowded or even so crowded that people have to stay behind, but there's nothing you can do to be guaranteed a seat. People who have bought a ticket in advance and those who have bought a ticket a few minutes before departure are in the same situation when it comes to finding a seat.

Reputatie 3

Welcome to the NS Community!

Without a monthly subscription for discount or free travel (for which you need a personal card with photo), it’s best to just use any debit/credit card to tap in and out. It needs to be enabled for contactless/RFID/NFC payments. A phone wallet (or even a smart watch) with your card coupled should work, too.

See https://ovpay.nl/en for details. Maestro, V pay, Mastercard, or Visa will work, AmEx doesn’t work.

If your card doesn't work, there’s always the ticket machines at stations that will provide tickets for single or return trips at a € 1,00 surcharge.

Or in case you want to travel in First Class buying a ticket online (download the NS-app) or at the ticketmachine or ticketdesk (€1 surcharge) is necessary.

Reageer