beantwoord

Method of payment blocked for transport

• 8 June 2023
  • 4 reacties
  • 831 Bekeken

I successfully used my UK-issued MasterCard to check in and check out on Saturday. On Sunday I could not check out (or open the exit gate) because "Payment method is blocked for transport")

What would cause that?

I have yet to see a payment in my credit card statement; so far it seems I travelled free of charge.

On Monday, card was still blocked, so I used another one. Do I need a fresh card for every day?

icon

Beste antwoord door Robert B 8 June 2023, 23:12

Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Badge +3

Hi @henk_bakker_uk please contact OVpay https://ovpay.nl/en

The workaround to use a different (virtual) card number will take you quite far at no cost 🤣

Most of those cards will be rejected (for obvious reasons).

If it let you travel but rejected afterwards to open gates to get outside, find another way to get outside (station staff, SOS/Info pole near the gates) or just ‘tailgate’ if it was outwards through gates.

Yes, outward gates will keep you 'hostaged’ inside a station if there is not enough balance on your (anonymous or personal) ov-chipcard to pay for the ride from the point of check-in.

If the check-in is missing, you would be billed €20 but since OVpay has no clue about that (where you departed from), just let me out! 🤣

@Robert B Has given a great answer above, but some extra info just because I didn't see it in his reply:
This blocking of cards, happens when the payment for the transit fails. Every night just after midnight, the OVPay system tries to collect the money for the journeys you made, and if for any reason that transaction fails, then the card is blocked until the payment is made. It's best to contact OVPay so they can sort you out and get the issue resolved.

If by tomorrow you see a credit statement on the other card, that means the payment was successful and you’ll be able to keep using that card. If payment from that card also fails then that card will be blocked by tomorrow morning as well.

Two great explanations, thanks Jordy and Robert. Still wondering why the overnight settlement would fail for my credit card, on check in/out, when it works quite happily for top-ups of the OV card.

Something is a little bit broken, me thinks.

Reputatie 2

Two great explanations, thanks Jordy and Robert. Still wondering why the overnight settlement would fail for my credit card.

Your credit card company might find OV pay (contact less) transactions suspicious. It happened to me multiple times where my foreign bank would block the OV pay payment and recommended me to replace my card.

The credit card company I've worked for however had really no automated to inform customers if something like this happened. Sometimes customers would get a phone call, sometimes not. Modern banks like Revolut, Bunq or KNAB etc will automatically send you a text or e-mail/push notification if transactions get blocked.

OV pay also made some changes to their policy recently, but this concerns mostly (foreign) virtual cards which won't work anymore unless your bank/card issuer is 'compatible' with ov pay. Which isn't the case for most foreign banks/card issuers and is a big change compared with the introduction.

Can I check in and out using my phone?

Yes, if your bank or credit card company is compatible with OVpay. Simply add your debit or credit card to your wallet and you're good to go!

Reageer